The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) expects that this summer a record number of people will be screened through the security checkpoints at Denver International Airport (DEN), reaching a record high, potentially matching or exceeding that of 2019.
The next time you arrive at Denver International Airport, passing through security might be a little less difficult. On Wednesday, June 15th 2022 minor adjustments to the security checkpoints at Denver International Airport went into effect in an effort to reduce the length of passengers’ wait times.
Airport officials stated Tuesday that starting June 15 the South Security Checkpoint would add two TSA PreCheck lines and the North Security Checkpoint will add three traditional screening lanes.
“The additional lanes will provide passengers arriving from the hotel and transit center on the south end and international arrivals on the north end more options to access the appropriate screening lanes on either end of the terminal,” airport officials said in the release.
Prior to the hectic holiday travel season, the DIA made adjustments in November to improve the effectiveness of security screening. These adjustments included predominantly employing the South Security Point for ordinary screening and the North Security Checkpoint for PreCheck customers.
Travelers have been reporting lengthy lines for baggage claim in recent weeks, particularly between the hours of 5 and 11 a.m. and 3 and 6 p.m. on Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays, and Mondays. However, many of the passengers later reported that it only took them less than 30 minutes to get through security.
As summer 2022 traffic has started to pick up, the TSA has added more staff members, as previously reported by Lorie Dankers with the TSA.
Airport officials still highly advise travelers to use the checkpoints described below because the modifications only add a small number of lanes to the security checkpoints:
North Security Checkpoint (Open 4 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
- TSA PreCheck: This checkpoint is primarily for TSA PreCheck passengers
- CLEAR Customers: A CLEAR lane is available on the east side of this checkpoint for travelers who are CLEAR customers with TSA PreCheck
- Premium/Premier Traveler Lane: This lane is available on the west side of this checkpoint
- Standard Screening: There will be up to three standard screening lanes open
South Security Checkpoint (Open 24/7):
- Standard Screening: This checkpoint is dedicated to standard screening travelers
- TSA PreCheck: There will be up to two TSA PreCheck lanes open from 4 a.m. to 8 p.m. PreCheck passengers traveling after 8 p.m. will receive an expedited screening through the standard lanes at the this checkpoint.
- CLEAR Customers: A CLEAR lane is available at this checkpoint for standard screening. CLEAR customers with TSA PreCheck may use this lane, but are strongly encouraged to utilize the lane on the North Security Checkpoint for a more efficient experience
A-Bridge Security Checkpoint (Open from approximately 4:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.):
- Standard Screening: This checkpoint is dedicated to standard screening travelers. TSA PreCheck is not available at this checkpoint.
During the busy travel season of the summer, Denver International Airport authorities recommend that passengers arrive at the airport at least two hours before their scheduled boarding time. In addition, passengers should check the current security wait times online before heading to the airport.
Checkout live security wait times online at www.flydenver.com
Read more at: