What is the closest Airport to Vail, Colorado?
Many people wonder which is the closest airport they can fly into when traveling to Vail. There are several airport in Colorado: Denver International Airport, Pitkin County Airport, Grand Junction Airport, and Colorado Springs, but of course there is only one airport that is actually close to Vail, and that would be Eagle Regional Airport (EGE) which is only 35 miles away.
If you’re traveling to Vail, then Eagle County Regional Airport is going to be your nearest choice. Just minutes from Vail, Beaver Creek and other world-class destinations, Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE) gets you directly to the heart of the Colorado Rockies. Trade the long drives, snowy passes and road delays for friendly, service and quick access to your favorite outdoor activities. It is possible to skip the long travel times, and save lots of time by flying directly into Eagle Airport and heading directly to the slopes, to enjoy your Vail vacation this winter or summer.
You can check out Eagle Vail’s flight schedule at the official website: https://www.flyvail.com/flight-information/flight-schedules. Currently, Eagle Vail Airport is only offering service to and from Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD), Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Denver (DEN) Airport.
During the busy winter months, American, Delta and United provide non-stop jet service between EGE and 14 major domestic and international cities, including Atlanta (ATL), Chicago(ORD), Dallas/Ft. Worth(DFW), Denver(DEN), Houston(IAH), Los Angeles(LAX), Miami(MIA), Newark(EWR), New York/Kennedy(JFK), New York/LaGuardia(LGA), Phoenix(PHX), Salt Lake City(SLC), San Francisco(SFO), and Washington Dulles(IAD).
United Airlines also offers non-stop daily service to Denver year round.
Why Fly into Eagle Regional vs Denver International Airport?
- Eagle County Regional is the Vail Colorado Airport of Choice.
- Passengers arriving into Vail Airport do not need to worry about driving through unpredictable Vail Pass or Loveland Pass, and the drive from Eagle to Vail is a much shorter than the drive from Denver Airport to Vail.
- Eagle County Regional, also known as Eagle Vail Airport (EGE) is located only 35 miles from Vail Village best hotels, and within just a short 40-minute drive.
- Denver International Airport (DEN) is located east of Denver and 110 miles from Vail via I-70. Mountain Roads are very unpredictable, and while it normally takes about 2 hours to get from Denver Airport to Vail by car, shuttle or private car service, it is also very likely that in snowy weather the drive might take up to 4-5 hours or longer.
United Airlines has multiple daily flights to Vail/Eagle Airport (EGE) to take you to the mountains. Fly into Eagle Airport, and take an airport shuttle or a private car to your hotel in Vail or Beaver Creek. Alternatively, car rentals, Uber, Lyft car services are available at the airport, but keep in mind that those transportation services are very unreliable, and you might end up sitting at the airport for a while if you do not prearrange your car service well in advance.
There is definitely one big drawback that prevents many people from flying into Eagle Airport. Please, always remember, that during snowstorms or bad weather the flight from Eagle to Denver is regularly canceled, so be prepared when traveling to this airport for that eventuality. However, if the weather is nice, this is an easy flight that saves a lot of time.
- Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE) is also referred to as the Vail/Eagle Airport or the Eagle Vail Airport has recently undergone big renovation. The airport is located in Gypsum, Colorado, approximately 4 miles from Eagle, CO. It is nestled high in the mountains, has one, 9,000 foot runway and the History Channel has rated it #8 on its list of Most Extreme Airports due to the elevation, weather variability, mountainous terrain and challenging departure procedures. During the winter ski season, EGE is the second busiest airport in Colorado. The only one that is always busier is Denver International Airport, of course. Some passengers prefer to fly into EGE rather than Aspen since Eagle has lower minimums allowing a better potential to land in bad weather.
Vail Valley Jet Center
The Eagle County Regional Airport has one Fixed-base Operator (FBO), the Vail Valley Jet Center (VVJC). Located on the south side of the airport, the Jet Center is committed to providing the highest, most efficient level of service possible and was given the title of “The Ritz-Carlton of FBOs” by Aviation and Business Journal. The Jet Center has also been ranked as a top FBO by Pro Pilot and Aviation International News industry surveys for the past 10 years.
The Vail Valley Jet Center is a gateway to North America’s finest ski resort. Being located at Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE) where winter weather patterns allow VVJC and the Eagle County Regional Airport to remain open while many surrounding mountain airports are closed. From the moment you taxi onto the VVJC ramp, you will be treated as their guest – an experience comparable to staying at one of Vail or Beaver Creek’s numerous five-star hotels. You can land, park your aircraft in the hangar, get in your shuttle, and be on the slopes in only 30 minutes.
If you are coming to the Vail Valley via private aircraft, the Vail Valley Jet Center can assist you with aircraft storage and services. The jet center also provides international customs clearance, catering services, flight planning assistance, aircraft maintenance and cleaning, and full concierge services. The VVJC concierge will guide you to all the local recreational attractions – skiing and snowmobiling in the winter, or mountain biking, fly-fishing, hiking, golfing and kayaking in the summer.
For more information about the Vail Valley Jet Center visit VVJC.com, or call (970) 524-7700.
Frequently asked questions:
What is the closest airport to Vail, CO?
The closest airport to Vail is Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE), and it is located 35 miles away. Other nearby airports include Aspen Pitkin County Airport (ASE) (98 miles), Yampa Valley (HDN) (100 miles), Denver International Airport (DEN) (122 miles) and Grand Junction Regional Airport (GJT) (147 miles).
How long does it take to get from the Airport to Vail?
Travel from Eagle Airport to Vail takes 40 minutes.
It takes roughly about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get from Denver Airport (DEN) to Vail depending on the destination. Travel time is also highly dependable on the weather and road conditions. Please allow up to 4-5 hour travel time during snowstorms and icy conditions in winter.
Where is Eagle Airport Located?
The main terminal building of Eagle Airport is located at 217 Eldon Wilson Road in Gypsum, CO 81637.
Please contact Eagle Airport representative with any questions by email to [email protected] or by calling the main airport phone at 970-328-2680; Monday – Friday; 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (excluding holidays).
Is it safe to fly into Eagle Airport?
Absolutely! The only challenge is bad weather, that makes it possible that your plane might get diverted to the closest available airport. But no worries here; once the weather gets better you will safely land at Eagle Airport.
The History Channel rated Eagle County Regional Airport as #8 on its list of Most Extreme Airports in July 2010 due to the elevation, weather, approach through mountainous terrain and challenging departure procedures. In 2008–09 the airport completed a runway repaving and extension project, increasing the runway length to 9,000 feet.
In America’s 10 Scariest Airports, SmarterTravel editor Caroline Costello interviewed pilot David Cenciotti, who said that “poor weather, high approach, and high surrounding terrain make this airport a bit challenging.
Getting To/From Eagle County Airport.
Ground Transportation Options at Vail Airport.
Eagle County Regional Airport has all of your ground transportation needs covered. Either rent a car or kick back and let someone else do the driving for you. Whether you are traveling to Vail, Beaver Creek, or other surrounding resorts, EGE has multiple options for all of your ground transportation needs.
Several private shuttle and limo services offer transportation to and from Eagle Airport to Vail starting at $45 per person one-way. Most national car-rental companies have cars available year-round. The Eagle County bus system services the airport.
- Parking – Both short term and long term paid parking is available.
- Rental Cars – There are a variety of rental car counters inside the airport, which makes renting a car very convenient. Make sure you reserve a 4-wheel drive vehicle especially for winter driving. Any other car would not get you safe to your destination in winter weather conditions.
- Uber and Lyft are both available in the mountains but they are very unreliable, especially during peak winter season. It is always recommended booking your transportation in advance for easy and stress-free travel from Eagle Vail Airport to Vail or Beaver Creek.
- Private Airport Shuttle Services are always recommended. For a full list of EGE registered ground transportation companies, please visit https://www.flyvail.com/parking-transportation/ground-transportation/shuttles-limos-and-taxis.
Whether you are traveling by plane, private jet, airport shuttle or private car, your escape to Vail, Colorado is just a short trip away. Located in the heart of Colorado’s Rocky Mountains, Vail Ski Resort is located 40 minutes east of Eagle County Regional Airport and two hours west of Denver International Airport.
Save $10 on Blue Sky Limo Airport Shuttle Service from Wethrift: